ARC Review: COZEN by Bethany-Kris

June 07, 2018

Cozen by Bethany-Kris
coz-en (kuz-uhn)
verb
1. trick or deceive.
• obtain by deception.

She was named most appropriately.

Cozen Taylor has more than earned her place as one of North America’s most successful thieves. Her name is whispered amongst criminal elite as the go-to thief when someone needs a heist.

She has never failed.

A call from the Miami-based Astor family could change all that with a job that seems almost impossible to complete. The mark should be simple—a stolen family heirloom, the man who has kept it hidden for over twenty years, and six months to return the piece to its rightful owners.

Nothing is ever that easy.

Three-hundred million for a successful heist. No smart thief would turn the offer down. Cozen didn’t expect a complication like him to put a kink in her plans, though. Sargon Makri—tall, dark, gorgeous, and entirely dangerous. For her life, her heart, and for the success of the heist.

The last thing Cozen needs to be thinking about is Sargon, and how she can get him into her bed … especially when he just happens to be her mark’s bodyguard. The thrill of the job has never been more addicting to Cozen, and she will risk everything to make the heist a success.

But at what cost?

***

From author Bethany-Kris comes a whole new world. A North American network full of criminals battling to stay on top, and painting the streets red in war as they dabble in the game of betrayal. Malicious, cunning, forbidden, and violent—welcome to The Empires and Badlands.

Amazon | Goodreads


My Review


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think this will be the simplest review I’ve ever written for a book I’ve read by Bethany-Kris. If you haven’t read anything of hers before, this is a perfect example of her exemplary prose and a wise choice to get your feet wet with. And if you’re a mega fan like me, you’ll love how seemingly flawless her segue from mafia romance to plain old romantic suspense is.

Cozen is a thief looking for her last job and it happens to land in her lap at just the right time. Her skills are highly sought after because she doesn’t just steal what you’re looking for. There’s no smash-and-grab. She has the unique ability to insert herself into her target’s life, identify the mark, take the mark, and exit without anyone being the wiser. Perfect. And her tactics should have worked just as effortlessly as ever before except for one snag - an irresistible man named Sargon. While trying to seduce her target, she was also seducing him, and from first sight, she was seduced by him. And it was sexy, incredibly hot, and absolutely beautiful.

I loved so much about this story and I wish it didn’t have to end. I loved Sargon’s frustration over Cozen’s pretense. I loved how Cozen couldn’t help herself when it came to Sargon. And I loved the twists and turns that this author fed me right up until the end. I admit that I was pleasantly surprised that I was intentionally left in the dark about so much and yet I felt that the surprises only validated how much I loved these characters.

Release: 06.04.2018 | Genre:Contemporary w/ suspense | Dual POV - 3rd person | Heat: 4 | Standalone

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment because I absolutely love getting and giving them!