Review: Cocky Chef by J.D. Hawkins

July 31, 2017

Cocky Chef by JD Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Standalone
Release - July 29, 2017
Genre - Contemporary Enemies-to-lovers Romance
Dual POV - 1st person
Heat - 3.5 out of 5
Length - 245 pages

You can call me arrogant as much as you want. But when you're the best at what you do and have the hottest restaurant on the west coast, with enough Michelin stars to make Gordon Ramsay's head spin, you've earned the right to your confidence.

When I give an instruction in the kitchen, it's not a suggestion--it's an order. So when a new chef thinks she can do things her way, and dares to say so to my face, even her sharp wit and gorgeous pouty lips don't make it okay.

But I have to admit, she's got talent. She's creative in the kitchen and not even that double-breasted chef jacket can hide her perfect body. As I get to know her, I can't help wanting to know everything she thinks. I've never met a more talented chef. And I've never met a sassier and sexier woman in my life.

There's only one way this push and pull can end.

With her in my bed, begging for more.

Find your copy of Cocky Chef here:
Goodreads | Amazon
FREE with Kindle Unlimited

MY REVIEW

This book was like a Hell’s Kitchen slash Master Chef slash steamy whirlwind romance all smashed together. I loved how detailed the author was with cuisine, cooking styles, and the business end of a restaurant. I’m not sure how he researched these topics, but most of it was spot on. I found that there were many times that I had to ask my friend, who happens to be an Executive Chef, classically trained in the French style, questions for verification purposes and each time my friend came back with “yup” or “sounds about right”. I love when the minor details check out!

Okay, so Cole is the Gordon Ramsay of Los Angeles. Renowned chef, had his own TV show, constantly being hit up with more media opportunities, has dated the who’s who of actresses and models, has the most successful restaurant in LA, and is in the process of taking the Las Vegas crowd by storm. What else could this man possibly want? Then there’s Willow… she was trained by a famous French chef, came out of that experience with a lot of knowledge, experience and determination, and then opened up her own restaurant, which ended up being a catastrophic failure. She’s moved to LA to start fresh and, with the help of her friends, try to make her dreams a reality once again. She’s got no time for anything extra, least of all a relationship. But the explosive chemistry and imminent connection Cole and Willow shared could not be denied.

“When I said I just wanted you to be happy… I meant with me.”

Moment of truth: I wasn’t a huge fan of Willow’s. Here’s why… this woman never knew when to agree to disagree. I respected her intellect, her stubbornness, and her grit, but there was a moment (or five) where I felt like she went too far. Moments when I felt like she was being borderline disrespectful to Cole. And I didn’t like how he just took it. I don’t know ANY men who would let a woman tear apart everything they built and just let it go. Nah dude. He was already successful and his popularity was only gaining momentum. She was a nobody in the world of hospitality. His restaurant was the first place she worked in besides her own failed restaurant. He was her boss. And yet, she was telling him all of the things he was doing wrong and how she would do it. And then browbeating him with it, like she was in the right and he couldn’t possibly know what he was doing. Ummmm… didn’t you see his show? Did you have a show? Did you see his incredibly busy and successful restaurant? Wait, you’re a line cook there? Oh, so then you MUST know that homeboy knows a thing or two about what he’s doing. It’s working, ain’t it??? I'm just saying... he's the one with the successful restaurant that YOU work at. Andddd... I don't see any producers running you down to be on any show.

So, my rant is over lol!! As with all books by this author, I enjoyed it immensely. There’s just something about the way JD Hawkins writes. In Cocky Chef , the characters and their interactions were electric, the plot was solid and entertaining, and the steam and romance were definitely on point. I really liked where this book took me and now I’m jonesing to binge-watch Chopped or something.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment because I absolutely love getting and giving them!