Review: Checkmate: This is Effortless by Kennedy Fox

April 24, 2017

This is Effortless by Kennedy Fox
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Book 2 of the Drew & Courtney duet - Checkmate #4
Release - April 25, 2017
Genre - Contemporary Friends to Lovers Romance
Dual POV - 1st person
Heat - 4 out of 5
Length - 403 pages
Review of book 1 of the Drew & Courtney duet, This is Reckless

Courtney Bishop is as sugary sweet as her famous blueberry muffins.
Southern belle at heart, Cali girl by choice.
She barged into my life and easily became my best friend.
All was great as roommates and just friends, but then I fell for the girl who could chop firewood, deliver baby calves, and bail hay without breaking a sweat.
She's the perfect mixture of sugar and spice, and I love her.

Being more than friends and trying to build our future isn't as easy as it sounds.
Moving forward and creating memories is all I want for us, but when the past continues to come back and haunt me, I'm not so sure she'll stay for the ride.

Loving her is easy, but losing her will break me. Burning passion combined with an undeniable chemistry constantly pushes and pulls us together. In the end, I'll prove we're worth the fight, even when the game is far from over.

Checkmate, sweetheart.

Find your copy of This is Effortless here:
Goodreads | Amazon

MY REVIEW

This story picked up right where the last one ended. If you don’t know where that is then I suggest you pick up Checkmate: This is Reckless - Drew & Courtney #1 to find out. I’m trying really hard to avoid spoilers here!

It started off strong. Amid tons of drama and some OTT moments, Drew and Courtney remained solid and united. I couldn’t have asked for more than that. I loved seeing their unity despite the chaos that surrounded them. However, towards the middle and getting to the end, I felt a lull in momentum. To be quite frank, it got a tad boring. I started to dislike Courtney and it all felt a bit like filler. I hate filler. The heroine started to act like a ditz and I was left unimpressed.

When the story finally picked up steam, it gave me a sense of euphoria because I felt lost. Drew was the only reason I kept on reading. He was beyond amazing! The climax was a little anticlimactic but at least I finally got to sing the Munchkins song from The Wizard of Oz.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment because I absolutely love getting and giving them!