Monday, February 13, 2017

Review: Love Story

Love Story Love Story by Lauren Layne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you're looking for a story with tons of angst and you're a fan of constant pushing and pulling between protagonists, then you're really going to enjoy this story.

Reece is Lucy's brother's best friend. They met when they were kids and had a connection all their own. Over time, as they grew, those friendly feelings grew with them and became more. When Lucy was 18 years old (Reece was 19), they were in love, without actually telling each other. Reece ultimately breaks Lucy's heart and it seems their story was over before it even began.

Six years later, both Lucy and Reece are prepared to start over in California. Separately. Unfortunately, their family has other ideas and complicates matters. They find themselves stuck together on a two-week road trip, destined to either kill each other or fall in love all over again.

Although I enjoyed the premise of the story immensely, I wasn't a fan of how immature the characters acted. Their bad behavior and poor communication skills frustrated me. It took them until the over the 90% mark to finally get their heads out of their asses. The rest of the time their bickering, being petty, and lashing out. I was also disappointed that there wasn't more grovelling from Reece. He was pretty mean and all I got for the trouble was:
"Lucy Hawkins was my girl. Now she's my woman. And I'm her man. She'd better start getting used to the idea."

For me, it wasn't enough and so the ending fell flat. Otherwise, I liked the banter, the bits of drama, and the idea of the broken hero that had some redeemable qualities, even if they were very well hidden.

Release Date: February 14, 2017
Genre: Second Chance Contemporary Romance
POV: Dual - 1st person
Steam: 2.5 out of 5
Book Type: Standalone (Book 3 of the Love Unexpectedly series)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment