Monday, November 14, 2016

Review: Heat Wave

Heat Wave Heat Wave by Karina Halle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have to start this off by saying that I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HATED VERONICA'S MOM!! Hated her soooooooo much!! Hate anyone who has that kind of ugliness in their soul and puts it on their children!!

Ok. Rant over.

One thing that is pretty much guaranteed when picking up a book from Karina Halle is feels. This woman knows how to write angst, create a conflict of emotions, and pull on those good ol' heart strings.

"I saw him first."


I knew when I read that line that I was going to be in for one hell of a ride. And I was. I new that my emotions were going to get played with. And they were. But that's okay because Logan and Veronica's story needed to do that to me. It was heartbreaking, eye-opening, realistic and beautiful.

I'm being intentionally vague because I really don't want to give away any of the plot. Let's just say that Logan and Veronica's relationship could be seen as taboo by many, but not by me. The author gave these characters so much history and so much heart that I couldn't help but fall in love with their story. I could never see their love as wrong.

There was an underlying theme of "ohana" (Hawaiian for "family") and how you can pick and choose who to give that inclusive title to. There was also the concept of loving someone even if you don't like them and accepting it and moving on.

This story was more than a romantic love story. It was almost like it was about the different stages of grief. There was denial, anger, bargaining, acceptance, family, friends who become family, and about Logan and Veronica allowing themselves a second chance at their hard-fought happiness.

An ARC was generously provided in exchange for an honest review


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment